Thursday 4 May 2017

Outside the Box Project Alpha Work - Concept Art - The Monsters

Whilst Josh was our core concept artist, the three of us on the team performed various roles of a game studio. For myself this mainly focused on additional artwork, coding and 3d modelling/UV unwrapping. I left final designs of the enemies of our game, The Monsters, and their child like forms to a collaboration between Josh and Chess. However I decided to add my variations of a few of the core Monsters, including my own original Monster design.


(^ The Sneak ^)

The Sneak was the first concept I made digitally. 
For all of these digital Monster's I used varying percentages of grey to add layers and tone to the faces of the characters. In this list of digital art I have presented them in chronological order from those I made first to those I made last, with The Sneak first and The Necromancer last.

I believe that The Sneak came out better than The Spy in it's shape and blend of tones



(^ The Spy ^)

I feel as though The Spy was the weakest variant I created, whilst I'm sort of happy with it I feel as though the depth was not as well implemented on The Spy than with the other Monsters, Especially the hair, it was my first attempt in this line of digital work to make hair and I feel as though it didn't come out all that well, however pieced together, I feel as though The Spy is still an alright creation from me.


(^ The Monarch ^)

I believe The Monarch to be one of the best of The Monster concepts I made, after painting her, I felt as though I got back into some of my stride that was lacking with The Sneak and Spy.
I like the smoothness and regal like qualities of the paint work, I liked the idea of the adapting the size of the horns denoting rank concept to The Monarch, not having the largest, but instead having a crown of horns, which gives her, her status. 



(^ The Hunter ^)

Again, like The Monarch, I consider The Hunter to be one of the more successful concepts I made for this project and thoroughly enjoyed making the concept. my goal was to change the view of the face, to see it more from a top down perspective, so as to make The Hunter appear more menacing in the concept as he is meant to be the main antagonist of The Monsters and our game.

I feel as though I achieved this goal of menacing rather well, especially though the teeth, giving him an eerie smile, one that isn't trustworthy. 

(^ The Necromancer ^)








No comments:

Post a Comment